Monday, November 29, 2010

DIY Cardboard Box Kitchen Play set

I am a BIG fan of Family Fun magazine. I've had a subscription since before Lylah was born in anticipation of one day being able to use the fun ideas with our children. Well, I have used several ideas already, but NONE compare to the Cardboard Kitchen Play set found in the December 2010 issue!!! As soon as I saw it I knew we had to make one too!! In fact, I went back and forth with some other more expensive DIY ideas and was going to make one for Christmas, but I talked myself out of it thinking maybe Lylah wasn't quite old enough. Well, this one was going to be so darn cheap that it wouldn't had been a big loss had it gone unnoticed by our lil' lady. Anyway, here is the finished product:

First of all, I was SOOOO wrong about Lylah not being old enough. She loves it!! She goes to the sink and pretends to wash her hands, and she turns the knobs on the stove.
Second of all it was SOOOO easy to make!! I actually went to Lowes and bought boxes (if you were better at waiting then I was you could probably find some for free) The two main boxes were 18x18x16 and cost $1.29. The box used for the shelf cost .95cents, but I'm not sure of the size. We had to cut it down a bit anyway. I got colored duct tape with a 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby for $2.99. From there we just followed the directions in the magazine, easy peasy!! For our stove knobs we used the tops off of old spices we never use and Nathan drilled a hole in them. Then we actually found some knobs at Lowes for .80 cents a piece for the cabinets and oven. You could use anything though. Here is a closer picture of how that turned out.
My favorite part is the window. Our little pizza shop here in the Grove donated a box that just so happened to have a great view of Italy!! I added the pillowcase curtains and there you have it!! So cute!
We did also get some adhesive hooks to hang towels and a little hand broom bringing the grand total to under $10. Well worth the fun that Lylah has been having!!

No comments:

Post a Comment