Monday, August 15, 2011

Our birthday countdown

Last year we got Lylah a birthday book for the five days leading up to her birthday. Fun, but not quite the tradition I was looking for. So this year we did a birthday countdown. It was much closer to the tradition I wish to put in place to celebrate the gift God has given us through our children (specifically Lylah this time). Anyway it was really simple actually. I made tags with my Cricut and attached them to white paper bags. You could just write numbers on too, but I like an excuse to use my Cricut :).

Each bag had a special family activity or a little treasure (all of which were purchased at Mighty $). I should add that the little treasures will all come in handy for various learning/art activities we will be getting into in the coming months. Anyway, here is what was in our bags:

7: family movie night-in bag; popcorn, Nemo movie (already had), and a special Nemo cup (found at an outlet mall on vacation)
6: toy crane (perfect for our transportation unit we just finished)
5: water park with friends-in bag; swim diaper (already had)
4: little stampers
3: smores and lightning bugs-in bag; a glass jar
2: little animal figures (I'll be using these in up coming sensory bins and Godly play kits)
1: flower leis to wear for her party
0: birthday blowers

We opened each bag at breakfast time so that it would sort of be a routine. Lylah only asked a few other times to open a bag when it wasn't time. Once she was sassy about it. Over all I feel like it went really well especially considering how young Lylah is. I hope to do more activities in the future, but the little treasures help for nights when we have other things planned.

As for this year, Lylah loved it! I'm sitting here trying to decide which activity she liked the most, bit I really can't decide! She was super sweet watching the movie!! She watched he WHOLE thing! She laughed on funny parts and was concerned on concerning parts. She is getting so big!! She also loved the water park and had fun with some friends who met us there too!! The smores and lighting bugs ended up being snow cones at our house with our small group. Who wouldn't love that?! The funny thing was on the days that the bag item was not exactly exciting (swim diaper, glass jar) she still got so excited!! I decided at one point that if you put anything in a bag to open up it must become way cool!! Anyway, we will most definitely be doing this again next year and for all future birthdays in our house!!

No comments:

Post a Comment