Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Let the Dr. Seuss posts begin :)

It's been a crazy week! This is actually the first night I've been home to celebrate one of my favorite children's book authors (Dr. Seuss) with one of my favorite children. I have several ideas up my sleeves, but we started today with a book I hadn't read before-THE SHAPE OF ME AND OTHER STUFF.

This book seemed appropriate because the idea I had for our activity was an outdoor one, and it just so happened to be a beautiful afternoon, and I just so happened to NOT have a meeting after school. The book is all about shadows of different "stuff" so I traced our lil lady's shadow.



Then I guided her in drawing different parts on her shadow. Now,I realize that shadows do not have parts, but it made the activity more fun for Lylah.





Finally, Lylah sat in her very special rocking chair and we read the book!! This is the board book version and like I said, it's a really cute book. Lylah had fun pointing to the shadows of the different objects in the book and it of course had the wonderful rhythmic pattern that we love from Seuss!



Notice the super adorable thing one and thing two clip that my awesome friend made!!





"of all of the shapes we MIGHT have been...I say HOORAY for the shapes we're in!" -Dr. Seuss

1 comment:

  1. Hi stranger! I saw your blog after your fb post about adopting - so happy for you guys! Also, was drawn to Lylah's fun hair clip. Judson's 1st Bday party is Dr. Suess, does your friend have any more of those laying around? I would love to have two-one for each of the girls. Its next Sat the 12th. Would you mind to get me her contact or ask her for me? Thanks! I may have to catch up on your blog...your are so creative!

    Courtney Hammett

    ReplyDelete